Sunday 23 February 2020

Cast Iron Skillet Chili

When I make chili I usually make it in my cast iron skillet.  I will sometimes use beef or ground turkey, and whatever type of beans feels to my liking at the moment.  I usually also use the ingredients below except I've never put apple cider vinegar in my chili before.  I've been trying to incorporate apple cider vinegar into more of my meals since watching a Dr Oz segment that said you still get the benefits of apple cider vinegar when incorporating it into what you cook.  When I put the sugar in it's usually always last, adding it comes from watching the food network that said adding sugar will cut the acidity in chili.  As I am adding ingredients I taste test it as I go along to see if I added enough of this or that, after adding the ingredients except the sugar you could really tell the apple cider vinegar was in there....at first I thought well I probably won't do that again or maybe add a bit less next time but once I put the sugar in there it came out with quite a unique great taste.  I'd even go as far as to say it was one of the better batches of chili I've made.






1 pound of hamburger
2 cans of beans (whatever type beans you like, I used one can pinto and one can black beans)
1 8 oz can diced tomatoes
1 small onion chopped
1/2 small green pepper
1 can tomato soup
1/2 cup ketsup
2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons of chili powder
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1 tablespoon ginger
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon garlic
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 to 3/4 cup water

Place your hamburger in cast iron skillet, get your meat browning up a bit then toss in your chopped onions to saute and your green peppers.  When meat is thoroughly cooked drain the grease.  Return meat back to pan and start adding your other ingredients.  I like to let it simmer on low for a good hour to get the flavors blending.

No comments:

Post a Comment